VIEWS

Thursday, January 27, 2011

LULU HAANGALA – MY PREGNANCY WAS MY BIGGEST CHALLENGE

LULU

 As I write this article, I have never physically met Lulu Haangala. Infact I will only be meeting her for the very first time this evening when we meet to discuss a TV project that we plan to launch. 

However, thanks to social networking sites, I have known Lulu for almost two years now. Unlike most media personalities that I know, she actually strikes me as an intelligent, well educated and humble person. She has it all and can easily flaunt it, but Lulu believes otherwise and prefers to be the ordinary, grounded girl

I had a question and answer session with her on BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) and for some reason I freakishly deleted the chat. When I told her what happened, she was more than willing to do the interview again and nonchalantly went out of her way to give it to me. 


 Luyando Haangala, popularly known as Lulu, is the first born daughter in a family of four. She is a well known TV personality and is currently working as a consultant for a bank in Lusaka.

“I come from a closely knit family of four and I am the first born. My siblings are really my friends and the whole family support and encourage me. My young brother, David, is my financial adviser”, says Lulu.
She attributes her grounded lifestyle to the norms and values inculcated into her by her parents.

“My mum and dad are a great inspiration to me and have done a lot to shape me into the person I am today”.

She says she is a woman with a goal to make a difference on the Zambian media scene.

“I come alive in front of the camera. I call TV my playground; it’s where I have fun”.

Lulu did two years of her primary education in Zambia the rest of it, including secondary education, was done in Zimbabwe.

“I have a BA Communications/Business degree from Heidelberg in Cape Town”

She also has a certificate in diplomatic practice, protocol and international relations from the Zambian Institute of Diplomacy.

Lulu was mainly raised in neighboring Zimbabwe. She was a bit adventurous and had a stint at Baraton University in Kenya where she did her first year of University. This, however, did not work well and she instead relocated to Cape Town, South Africa, where she studied for 4 years.

One would think Lulu had it all rosy as she lived outside Zambia most of the time but that’s not true. It would shock many but her first job was being a maid for some white missionaries at Mwami Hospital in Chipata.

“As the first born my parents instilled the working rule quite early for me. My first job I worked as a cleaner for pocket money for some missionaries at Mwami Hospital. They later promoted me to work in the A.D.R.A (Adventist disaster Relief Agency) office at the hospital. I did so well that they sponsored my first year of high school”.

Lulu also tried a number of income generating projects whilst at school. She ran a hair Salon in her university room, worked as a student librarian, student English tutor and was also a production assistant for the Hope channel.

It’s only after her graduation that she heard MUVI TV was looking for a team to start Zed kids News. She made an application and subsequently got the job.

Her family, to a very large extent, inspired her to pursue a career in the communications field. Most of her family members are in the Zambian media industry and some of them are notable politicians and musicians. More still, her father holds a Masters degree in Media.


“My family greatly inspired my love for the media field. My grandfathers, Mainza Chona and Mark Chona, were in politics, DJ Luchi (cousin) is on Radio phoenix , the late Flava FM DJ Brian Haangala and late musician, Smokey Haangala, was my uncles. My other uncle, Swithin Haangala owns Zambezi Radio station in Livingstone”.

Lulu says she always thought she would end up in front of the camera inspite of the fact that she can be quite shy.

“One of my lecturers in the fourth year told me I was made to be in front of a camera and so I tried it and never looked back . Once I knew where I was headed I did an internship with Hope channel and that gave me a great jumpstart into the industry”

Her biggest challenge was falling pregnant outside wedlock. It impacted her career and family lifestyle. She credits her family for being supportive and helping her pull through this turbulent period.

“My family did not reject me at all, they were very supportive. It was just the backlash. Dads a pastor so of course church members were talking. With my career and being in the limelight, people thought I was a teenager because of the kid shows I presented so you would find someone stopping me I public to give me a lecture. At that time my family lived out of town and I lived on my own. My mom moved to Lusaka to live with me and that gave me the confidence to venture out of the house”.

She says her employers, MUVI TV, were also very supportive and contrary to many rumors, she was not dismissed but made a personal decision to step aside from the cameras and the limelight until she gave birth.


“I was with MUVI for a whole year after I gave birth. I felt I needed to grow more in my field which is media and corporate communication, an opportunity came my way and I grabbed it. I left MUVI on good terms and that’s why they can call me back to do work for them. I have big dreams and I had to keep on moving”.

Lulu believes to be an exemplary success you need to be focused and have a well articulated plan for your life. She strongly believes that you need to know where you are going and not settle for mediocrity.

“ You need to stay principled because when you start to compromise you end up making wrong choices like I did. Now for those that end up in my shoes, it’s not the end of the road. God is amazing, he picks you up and turns what others may see as a curse into a blessing”.

She has learnt to surround herself with only people that truly matter and add value to her life.

“I hang around those that have my best interests at heart like my friends, my family, and Nzwisisa my man. He brings out the best in me”.

She says she is never bothered by rumors that usually do the rounds. She instead opts to lead a low profile lifestyle which revolves around her daughter, Asante, her man, family, few close friends and church.


Lulu doing a sound check at the Royal Livingstone

Currently she is a communications consultant for a bank in Lusaka and has just signed a deal with MUVI TV and AFRICA UNITE. 

She will be back on air in February.

Something that most people don’t know is Lulu is a very gifted singer.

“I plan to do a lot of singing this year (yes I sing), I did a gig at Royal Livingstone over Christmas with Blessington Malenga. I am also considering a radio gig so watch out”.

I have come across a number of young Zambians in the limelight and I can confidently state that Lulu definitely stands out from the crowd. She gives credence to the fact that we can all make mistakes but we certainly do have the opportunity to rectify our errors and lead an inspirational lifestyle. She defies the belief that life in the media is all about booze and partying. 

There is no reason that will definitely hinder lulu Haangala from riding the waves of success.

27 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I'm loving this. Friend i love you. And you know it. You are indeed an inspiration and keep up being the humble sweet person you are. This blog writter did an excellent Job. Mcwah. Love Thoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring Story, just remembered the sabbath program we did for hope channel in 2005, lulu was at home in the studio....
    These are the stories we should be reading and not the ones that do not uplift the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. touching and inspiration story.lulu u are the best, i really like u.saw the pic of your daughter(shes pretty).just contine to serve God,en u will c more of good things in your life.stay blessed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep flying high Lulu, trully inspirational. God bless the work of your hands...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gud story story indeed. She is gifted. Wat about the father of her daughter, is it the same man she has Nzwisisa?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow i lyk this story. never let ur mistake bring u down. lulu keep it up. i tell u the sky will be ur starting point. Neffy from Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lulu l admire you so much you are my hero may God give continue granting you peace and happiness throughout your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truely,the pro gramme you are presenting 'open doors 2011'is really a good one i wish i was in zambia to be part of the interviewed persons live on Tv, Keep it up, Stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are really an inspiration and I would love to meet you in person. Just reading through your story reminds me of my own story...May the God of Abraham continue blessing you always

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lulu you are one and a kind. God bless you~Lasso Hamoonga.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HEY LULU CONTINUE WITH THE SAME SPIRT AND MAY OUR LORD CONTINUE BLESSING YOU....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christiana EhigiatorApril 7, 2011 at 2:40 PM

    Hey lulu, this is really inspirational. Am very happy for you. Every one is bound do make a mistake, but the only real mistake we make is not learning from our previous mistakes. Apparently, you became more focus and a big inspiration to a whole lot of people. Am a nigerian living in my country and believe it or not, you are making waves even in the rural areas, so long as they have an opportunity to watch you, my dear, you win most of their hearts. But you know one thing is certain in life, not every body will like you, no matter how saintly you may be, just keep concetrating on yourself, be the real you and keep moving on. You really have a whole lot to show to the world, hopefully one day, you will be a world renowed figure, you are already getting to that. I love your spirit, GO GIRL, YOU WERE BORN TO MAKE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am so inspired by your autobiography and i admire your courage.in life, challenges must come but the way we handle them is what distinguish success from failures,thank GOD you were able to rise again.I am a Nigerian and i like you alot and your show is out of this world. go on girl, God is with you. lots of love from Nigerians. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lulu i luv u ad ur program u ar a wonderful girl, pretty, nice, rid on wit courage ad God will c u tru in life. I am ur fan a nigerian living in my country. Luv u

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed reading the blog, very interesting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We almst in d same shoes, nd as God has helpd u in2 such a splufic lass. Pray he also helps me... Xoxo...!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lulu the blog is very encouraging, go gal you are blessed. Wishing you success all your life....

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey gal! I'm really proud of u! Kp ur dream alive dnt let it die. Best wishes... Tari

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my! Zambia has such great talent..Lulu you inspire me girl keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  20. if you are talented and gifted, the blessings you have will never be taken away from you if only you learn to relearn in life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lulu i marvel u so much,u are such a talented lady.pliz keep it up im behind u.God Bless u

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey lulu,i get inspired wen i watch d show of more money in ur pocket game show .i wish 2 perticipate but am anigeria.keep flyin u are still my best tv presenter,happi new year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice, this is beautiful writing. Am so impressed. you are gifted.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lady, am humbled by your writings you re grit, nd to Lulu,mama u ve my support, u re my inspiration. keep up with the good works and God will bless you abundantly. Keep on moving....

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is nice and quite the inspiring story,keep ur head up....

    ReplyDelete
  26. u ar a gret woman..blessed en honoured. thnx for th inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  27. u ar a gret woman..blessed en honoured. thnx for th inspiration.

    ReplyDelete